The Skilling Australians Fund (SAF) Levy commenced on 12 August 2018 with all employers nominating an overseas national for employment required to pay this levy at the time the nomination is lodged. This includes employers submitting nominations under the following visa programs:
- Temporary Skilled Shortages Visa Program (subclass 482 visas);
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186 Visas);
- Regional Skilled Migration Program (Subclass 187 visas); and
- Labour Agreements (482 visas, 186 visas and 187 visas).
SAF Levy Calculation
As previously reported, the precise amount of the levy which is due is determined by references to the size (turnover) of the organisation nominating the overseas national. Organisations are categorised as either small or large organisations depending on whether their turnover is below or above $10 Million.
The details of the levy payable can be viewed at Table one.
Table One: Overview of Skilling Australian Levy of Organisations participating in Economic Migration Programs
The commencement of the SAF levy also saw the announcement of refund provisions available to employers in certain circumstances. In particular refunds of the SAF levy will be available in the following situations:
- The nomination and visa application are approved, but the overseas skilled worker (visa holder) does not arrive or does not commence employment with the organisation;
- The nomination is approved but the visa application is refused on health or character grounds;
- A TSS visa holder leaves the sponsoring employer within the first 12 months of employment. In this situation, the visa must have been approved for more than 12 months and refunds are only available for the unused years of the SAF levy (i.e. Years 2 – 4 as applicable).
- The nomination fee is refunded. This would ordinarily apply if the sponsorship application is refused.
Should you have any questions about the above information or if you want to discuss how your business can access these arrangements in more detail please do not hesitate to contact us for a confidential discussion on (03) 9614 7111 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org